this post was submitted on 22 Mar 2025
62 points (100.0% liked)

World News

45319 readers
3834 users here now

A community for discussing events around the World

Rules:

Similarly, if you see posts along these lines, do not engage. Report them, block them, and live a happier life than they do. We see too many slapfights that boil down to "Mom! He's bugging me!" and "I'm not touching you!" Going forward, slapfights will result in removed comments and temp bans to cool off.

We ask that the users report any comment or post that violate the rules, to use critical thinking when reading, posting or commenting. Users that post off-topic spam, advocate violence, have multiple comments or posts removed, weaponize reports or violate the code of conduct will be banned.

All posts and comments will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis. This means that some content that violates the rules may be allowed, while other content that does not violate the rules may be removed. The moderators retain the right to remove any content and ban users.


Lemmy World Partners

News !news@lemmy.world

Politics !politics@lemmy.world

World Politics !globalpolitics@lemmy.world


Recommendations

For Firefox users, there is media bias / propaganda / fact check plugin.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/media-bias-fact-check/

founded 2 years ago
MODERATORS
 

An Israeli air raid has struck the coastal city of Tyre in southern Lebanon, the Lebanese government and several local media outlets have reported.

At least one person has been killed in Tyre from the strikes, the second wave of Israeli attacks Saturday, according to Lebanon’s Health Ministry. Another Israeli attack in Qlaileh, southeast of Tyre, also wounded four people, according to the ministry.

Earlier in the day, Lebanese Prime Minister Nawaf Salam said his country was at risk of being drawn into a “new war” as dozens of other Israeli air strikes killed at least five people. Salam warned Israel’s “renewed military operations on the southern border” would bring “woes to Lebanon and the Lebanese people”.

you are viewing a single comment's thread
view the rest of the comments
[–] geneva_convenience@lemmy.ml 9 points 1 week ago

After similar incidents in the past, Hezbollah would usually maintain silence and let the responsible party claim the attack. The official denial Saturday underscores the difficult situation the group is in amid internal and external pressures.

In Lebanon, Hezbollah is facing growing opposition from political foes, who have held it responsible for instigating the devastating Israeli offensive last year with its “support front” for Gaza.

Defence Minister Michel Menassa has said the Lebanese army has begun investigating the circumstances of the rocket fire. He also called on the states sponsoring the ceasefire to “deter the Israeli enemy from its continued violations and attacks under flimsy pretexts and false pretexts”.